24 February 2011

Mmmm.....mac & cheese

So last night I decided to try out a mac & cheese recipe from my latest edition of Bon Appetit....kind of. It looked really tasty and I had almost all of the necessary ingredients to make it, but somehow I just couldn't see myself going thru ALL of the steps using everything the recipe called for. I wasn't much in the mood to boil garlic & red bell peppers in a pot of water then cook the noodles in said pot...oh, and no pimentos either - I like them in my martinis and this yummy pea salad that my mom makes, but I want my mac & cheese to be, well, mac & cheese!


so I made it the usual way - cooking the elbow macaroni, then mixing it with mozzarella, cheddar, butter & heavy cream...but one thing I did follow (almost) is that I topped it with Panko (Japanese bread crumbs), although I didn't toast them in a pan first. I just tossed them with butter and grated parmesan and called it good.....and boy, was it ever! YUM!

I also baked a couple of chicken breasts to go with it, and served it all with a side of steamed broccoli


it was pretty darn good if I do say so myself, and we had leftover mac & cheese for dinner tonite!

Besides all that, though, I think I need to change my mindset about blogging a bit. I tend to think of this as a "cooking blog", therefore I'm only inclined to write when I cook, but that's not really the point! I intend for this to be a place where I impose all aspects of my life upon you, so why stop with cooking? Or knitting? Truth be told, I still have yet to finish my friend's birthday scarf, and as much as I'd like to have a million exuses as to why I've been such a slacker about it, the fact is that I've just been a slacker!

I work on it almost every day - a row or so here, an hour's work there, but nothing consistent enough to be done with it already and I've also promised him a hat to go with it! At this rate, it'll be summer before he gets it and he won't even be able to use it until next year!

Wow ~ I really must snap out of it! Perhaps now is the time to dig out that copy of "The Procrastinators' Handbook" I received as a gift 5 years ago and never read....what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment