22 March 2011

On Writing

It always catches me off guard when I realize I've gone a long time without writing anything. That's funny in a sad way....I mean, of course I haven't been writing! When is the last time I even opened up my blog page and attempted to write, right? WRONG! The thing is, for some reason the longer I go without writing the harder it is to begin again.

The mental excuses come pouring out of me....who cares? nobody reads this anyway! I'm just feeding some ego-driven urge to impose my thoughts on...well, nobody, actually! What do I have to write about? I haven't really cooked anything exciting lately ~ nobody wants to read about my failed attempt at a birthday dinner...who cares that the salmon was a bit dry or that, since I was out of butane, the top of my creme brulee was practically burnt to a crisp by a camping stove?

Oh, and another good excuse ~ I've been too busy! Tell that to my facebook page, which sees more of my time lately than anything or anyone else on any given day...not that I'm all that concerned with it, but work has been slow lately so I've taken to just leaving my page open all day whether I'm actually "there" or not...yeah...

I was thinking this morning about what I would write today ~ I was determined that this would be the day I updated with a new entry. I had all of these really good ideas...came up with some clever lines I thought would make it more interesting...and promptly forgot them by them time I got to my laptop.

So here it is, a random blog bereft of meaning. No photos, experiments or updates on my various craft projects (which have also suffered from neglect.)

But you see, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter who does or does not read this. Sure I'd like to think maybe someone does, but that's not the point. I'm not sure of what my point IS, exactly, but I do know that I do this for me. I'm free to call it a contemplative exercise ~ usually with pictures, but sometimes not ~ or I could call it a hobby. It doesn't really matter. What matters is that I keep coming back to it as frequently as I can and try to make sense of the loose ends in my mind...and maybe entertain, amuse or inspire someone else along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment