22 January 2011

Miracle of Miracles!

I did it! I managed to find a way to cook kale that Mike will eat! I've been threatening him with leafy greens for some time now, but haven't put up much of a fight against his objections, so when I told him we were having kale with dinner I only made him agree to try it - just a little bit - and guess what? He ate all that I put on his plate without (much) complaint at all!



Believe me, it tastes better than it looks! The trick, you see, is to disguise it with butter. First I sauteed some shallots and garlic in a bit of olive oil, then I added the greens and some chicken broth and let that simmer for about a half an hour. Once it was nice and tender, I drained out the broth, melted butter in the pan, and sauteed the cooked kale in the butter...genius! I only hope I didn't completely kill the nutritional value in the process.

It went very nicely, I think, with the rest of dinner too, which was broiled salmon and roasted winter vegetables.



I pretty much emptied the fridge of all the veggies that didn't get cooked this week and roasted them together for about an hour and a half, and they were delicious! There's onions, garlic, fennel, beets, carrots, parsnips, turnips, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, shallots, and big chunks of elephant garlic in here.


All I did was toss them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a bit of kosher salt and several grinds of black pepper - oh, how I love my pepper mills - and popped it in the oven - that was it! Easy as can be.



I put the salmon in the broiler just as I was sauteeing the kale in butter and it worked out to where everything was done at pretty much the same time...no waiting around for bread to bake tonight.


Besides this one meal, I've been almost completely useless today, though. I meant to run some errands, do some housework, and finish knitting Mike's scarf, but as I was a bit hung over from all that wine last night, I read and napped this afternoon and that's about it! I did work on the scarf for a little while, but I found myself losing place in the pattern and decided to leave it for another time...I've come too far to completely screw it up now!


Ok ~ back to the sofa now ~ bonsoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment